Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pullin81

12 Valve PCM/Wiring

16 posts in this topic

well im new to the diesel world and i recently started my first diesel project...Any ways im wding if anyone has an Wirig diagram for a 96 cummins? And im also looking for a PCM as well if anyone knows of whre i can get on or has one they want to sell... Any help will be greatly appreciated... As for as my first diesel its a 81 chevy 1ton dually crew cab clipped with a 79 front end and a 96 12V with an NV 4500....bagged on all four corners...dually.bmp

I've got one for my '95 likely the same for your 96

as a matter of fact I could probably score you the brain from my '95 too. I'll likely never need it again. what do you need it for in the chevy? plonk an external regulator on the alt, and run the grids from a switch. not really much need for it after that.

I know a guy that is parting out a truck where I got some of my parts from, if you can't find a pcm I can see if he still has his. Since you are running a manual tranny you can get away from using the PCM like 1-5-3-6-2-4 said.

yup, no need for a pcm on a manual trany truck. I kept my stock dakota pcm on my cummins swap only to control the automatic trany. my grid heater is on a switch and my alt has an external regulator on it.

Do you shut the grid heater off after it's run for a few minutes then that was my

only reasoning for the PCM and I going to use a chevy alternator less wire bulk...

I posted the same thing on your other post

post-870-127050553544_thumb.jpg

perfect thanks alot...thats what i was after....so i guess im not going to use the pcm then just going to put the heaters on a push button...

Do you shut the grid heater off after it's run for a few minutes then that was my

only reasoning for the PCM and I going to use a chevy alternator less wire bulk...

my grid heater is on a push on push off switch with a light right above it to tell me when it's on. when it's cold out I turn it on for about 20seconds then start the truck, as soon as my oil pressure light goes off, then I shut the grid heater off. It doesn't need to be on once the engine is running.

Ok perfect

I'm not sure I know of many '96 cummins with EGR valves and sensors on it. you guys may want to double check that schematic.

I'm not sure I know of many '96 cummins with EGR valves and sensors on it. you guys may want to double check that schematic.

the egr will be for california trucks only. Prob never see one up here. The rest of the sensors the pcm uses to control the auto trany and the heating grid.

I wouldn't run them heaters for more than 45 secs at a time to avoid burning them out. But your truck sounds like its only going to run in summer time so you could just gut the heater coils out so the air flows better. I've got a gutted houseing for mine for this summer, haven't tryed it yet but i think i could get away with it, would just pack a little ether for the odd cold day.

nom how about putting the external voltage regulator on? does a guy just tie the wires into the exsisting read and green wires there or do you have to get rid of that molded plasic peice that the wires go inside of...if anyone has a quick diagram of that i would like that to. also the long back probably a 6 gauge wire where does that go...when i picked up the engine the harness was all torn off of the engine...and honestly im electrily stupid...well thats an understatement electricly retarded haha...Thanks to anyone who can help

Go on DTR and do a search on external voltage regulators, should give you the info to fix it up. Has something to do with 1st gen parts, but its pretty cheap, IIRC.